--------------------------<snip>--------------------

Most shops use groups properly. But the "connecting to the right groups" is the part that is the problem. Some RACF admins have a "template" by job
function or perhaps list an existing user and then connect the new user to
those groups.  But I don't see "all users are created equally" in the same
job function in my experience.

I challenge you or anyone else on this list who can, to get a list of connect
groups for their own userid and several sysprogs with the same job function.
I'll bet you will find differences in many cases.
The same could happen with ACF2, but in my experience I don't see ACF2
rules being written down to the specific userid level in the UID string.
True, there might be some differences. I've found that a simple LU command will tell me what groups to connect the new id into. Helps to keep "adjustments" to a minimum. :-)