>I understand that more recent versions of Debug Tool can be set up to produce
>a relatively lean load module without compromising debugging functionality.
>But we are not there yet so I have no experience to
offer.

These days, with fast processors and large memories, the kind of 'optimisation'
you're talking about is comparing pennies to millions of dollars.
Running with debugging in production can save many dollars, if even only one
programme in an application suite needs it.
We're not talking 1.5 MIPS/Single Engine processors any more.

-
Too busy driving to stop for gas!