On 18 Mar 2008 18:23:27 GMT, Hal Merritt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
to IBM-Main about "DB2 and WLM":

> I am getting a request from my DB2 guy to set up WLM and make
> appropriate RACF entries for something that is optional in 1.7,
> required in 1.8, and, I think, dropped in 1.9.

> Something about stored procedures and separate address spaces. The
> FM's I've searched don't give me a clear picture of what is what.

> We don't use stored procedures, so I am a little confused why we have
> set up that envionment.

> Can someone point me to a FM that will lead me to the path of
> enlightenment?

Hal: you might check the DB2 chapter in the Redbook "System
Programmer's guide to: Workload Manager" (SG24-6472).  There's likely
a chapter, or two, in the DB2 Admin guide as well.  Maybe he can tell
where he's reading from.  If you're not using stored procedures, he
might be doing DDF ie. JDBC, etc.

DB2 stored procedures are moving from being run in the DB2 SP a/s to
separate WLM address spaces ie. DB2 SPAS is now deprecated. (your
para 1 except DB2 v6, 7, & 8)  For WLM managed, stored procedures,
you need a WLM ApplEnv so the a/s will get started/stopped per
demand.  (I believe that it's 2hrs inactivity before the last STC
disappears.)  We use the STDATA in Racf Class(Facility) to provide
the proper userid.

friendly *Warning*: don't include NumTcbs in the ApplEnv Parm as
shown in examples.  Instead, leave it for the JCL proc where it can
be easily changed without requiring a WLM policy activation each
time.  Only place items that are invariant (rock solid, unchanging)
such as DB2SSN and ApplEnv.

ps. I believe there are sample stored procedures - and maybe a Rexx
builder - provided with DB2.  He might be trying them out for size.

---------->  signature = 6 lines follows <--------------
Neil Duffee, Joe SysProg, U d'Ottawa, Ottawa, Ont, Canada
telephone:1 613 562 5800 x4585                 fax:1 613 562 5161
mailto:NDuffee of uOttawa.ca     http:/ /aix1.uottawa.ca/ ~nduffee
"How *do* you plan for something like that?" Guardian Bob, Reboot
"For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."
"Systems Programming: Guilty, until proven innocent" John Norgauer
2004