On 24 Mar 2008 09:27:34 -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Bond) wrote:

>Predicators of the mainframe demise are probably of the same genre as those
>"experts" (who have probably never opened a science book) who are expounding
>the dangers of this "global warming" nonsense.

Possibly.   But those who do not pay attention to doomsayers in either
genre are vulnerable when parts of their views have validity - or when
parts of their views can be convincing or have utility to our goals.

(For instance, the U.S. President has found the global warming
politics to be useful when dealing with China).

If our CEOs read about IT becoming extinct, then we should know about
the arguments that he reads about.    Whether we think of it as a
battle (only fools go to war without studying the enemy), or whether
we think of these alternative technologies as allies in doing our jobs
- we should analyze these alternatives and assume that there are
useful parts of their positions.