Adam said
> Sometimes IT organizations forget that they didn't invent information,
> they simply are a means of managing it.

...and sometimes not even managing it. Often enough IT is arguably just
a vessel in which corporate information resides and it's a vessel that
fights the business tooth and nail every day. It is more of a necessary
bur-in-my-saddle than anything remotely approaching a core technology
asset that might drive some sort of competitive advantage.

I -don't- subscribe to the idea that IT doesn't matter. That
prognostication is premature at best. However, if you look at
downsizing, outsourcing and offshoring trends and also at the steep
decline of "in-house" application development world-wide, then it is
pretty easy to agree with a lot of what Nicholas Carr says, even if you
don't buy the whole story.

CC