Paul Gilmartin wrote:
It ain't that easy.  I've selected "/  Command line at bottom"
(my choice; don't argue with me -- I'm not a very good typist
and I believe it helps to have my fingers in my peripheral
vision as I view the command line).  Yet the command line
jumps distractingly between bottom and top depending on
what SDSF option I select.  I think some just don't honor
the setting.  And (IIRC; I can't reproduce this right now)
it sometimes switches on certain operations within a panel,
perhaps when a message is issued.

Panels must be defined correctly in order to allow ISPF to properly manage command line placement. Or, put another way, subtle errors in panel definitions can cause ISPF to *not* manage command line placement. Given that > 90% of ISPF users prefer top-placed command lines, it's not surprising that this clumsy SDSF behavior hasn't been reported or fixed -- one of many irritating usability issues with that "product".

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc