Barbara Nitz wrote:
The lack of source code prevents me (as a customer) from
finding out fast what might have gone wrong and how to find a
bypass. And software support has gone down quite dramatically
in quality, in my opinion.

My worst experience along those lines came with MVT. When IBM changed from simple console support to MCS, our system kept crashing. The problem occurred when an operator issued a Mount command with a seven character volume serial; due to the (new) logic path the FREEMAIN for work space was issued twice. It took only a few minutes to find the culprit in the source fiche, whereas IBM's formal fix didn't arrive until months later.

I spent a lot of time working for service bureaus, and having access to the source was invaluable in diagnosing customer problems, as well as stopping some (e.g., TIME=1440 not producing billing data - Seymour/Shmuel Metz found two places to zap the Reader/Interpreter to 1439 by inspecting the fiche).

OTOH, ten years later applying maintenance to our Cobol compiler caused 0C4s in the generated code, and IBM had a fix within two days (error in base register assignment). Source wouldn't have helped expeditiously, since the problem was too complex and none of my systems group had any experience with the compiler internals.

Because of OCO, it's hard to tell whether IBM is doing a worse job these days. Our early MVT system was IPLed every midnight to compensate for storage leakage, etc., whereas the systems I've used in the last twenty years tend to be available 24/7 except for scheduled down time.

Gerhard Postpischil
Bradford, VT