Kirk,

I think we can give credit to Hollerith for his tabulating and counting
machines, as well as the original punch card being the same size as a dollar
bill, but he was not a great success as a businessmen.

Tom Watson Senior really takes the credit. Hollerith's company was part of a
3-way merge where the parent companies contributed to the CTR name.
Hollerith's company had disappeared at this stage, and he was just
collecting royalties.

Tom Watson Snr took the helm of CTR after escaping jail time for
anti-competetive behaviour at NCR. It was he that introduced THINK, and
renamed it IBM, not Hollerith.

For a different view of Tom Watson the man, look up the history of DEHOMAG
in Germany... No reflection on current day IBM!

Ron