From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of R.S.
Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 4:05 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: DFSMSrmm basic question

Pommier, Rex R. wrote:
> Thanks, Radoslaw (and David);
>
> I will have to check out the "client-server" solution because that is exactly
> what I'm looking for.  I am using that type of setup for NetBackup on my *IX
> boxes and would like the same setup on my "z".  I don't want to go through
> the hassle of dividing the tapes up into separate volume ranges for each of
> the LPARs.
>
> Putting 1.7 on the production LPAR in less than 2 weeks (finally).

To be clear: This is NOT like Netbackup. It's rather like Tantia, aka Harbor or
FDR Upstream.

Each system still writes data over FICON/ESCON/BUS&TAG to tape drive.
Only RMM task updates CDS and journal over network in client-server mode. In
other words remote RMM doesn't open datasets, it opens network connection to
RMM server which manages datasets.

BTW: I wouldn't like LAN-type backup although having such option would be
interesting in some cases.

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland

--
BRE Bank SA
ul. Senatorska 18

Sd Rejonowy dla m. st. Warszawy
XII Wydzia Gospodarczy Krajowego Rejestru Sdowego,
nr rejestru przedsibiorców KRS 0000025237
NIP: 526-021-50-88
Wedug stanu na dzie 01.01.2008 r. kapita zakadowy BRE Banku SA  wynosi
118.642.672 zote i zosta w caoci wpacony.