>Thanks again John.  I added an OMVS segment to the group my userid is
>associated with and a GID(1) to the segment, and I now have access to
>FTP from the ISPF option 6 command line.

Just a word of caution here. It seems your environment has not been
properly setup for z/OS UNIX: Your userid seems to have had an OMVS
segment already but your default group didn't.

Usually GID(1) is assigned to group OMVSGRP (if the setup
recommendations
are followed). I doubt your default group is OMVSGRP, so you just
assigned GID(1) to a second group. Don't do this. GIDs as well as UIDs
should *not* be shared between multiple groups and userids, resp. This
will lead to troubles sooner or later.

Here is a useful link that is of great help in finding message and
codes explanation:

        http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/z/os/zos/bkserv/lookat/

Simply enter the message id or code in the "Message Id" field an hit
enter. (Unfortunately, LookAt does not support "BPXMTEXT" reason codes).

--
Peter Hunkeler
Credit Suisse