-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of David Eisenberg
Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2008 1:17 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: TIOT filling up: too many dynamic concatenations

Anyone,

I have a mainframe assembler application which is invoking Unix system
services to get the names of all of the files in an NFS-mounted folder.
The application dynamically allocates and logically concatenates these
files into one giant dataset, then uses QSAM macros to read it.

The DYNALLOC calls work this way: first, I dynamically allocate the
first file in the folder with DDNAME MYFILE. Then the program enters a
loop, performing these steps for each remaining file in the folder:
1) Dynamically allocate the file, asking the system to provide the
DDNAME (I observe that these are getting the ddnames SYS00001, SYS00002,
etc).
2) Dynamically concatenate MYFILE with the SYSxxxxx dataset just
allocated (with the "permanently allocated" attribute on).

This works beautifully; when I exit the loop, I can OPEN and GET all the
records successfully from MYFILE.

The problem is that I have reached a practical limit of approximately
540 files in the folder, because when I reach that point, I get a
dynamic concatenation ABEND due to the TIOT filling up. I am told that
our TIOT size is the default of 32K, which would allow for a maximum of
1,635 DDs in a job step. It would seem, however, that something in my
allocation/concatenation loop is preventing me from reaching that number
of files. There are only a handful of other DDs allocated to the step
(e.g., STEPLIB, etc).

If I were able to handle up to 750 (or perhaps 1,000) files at a time,
it would be of immense help. At the moment, our only option seems to be
to split up the files into multiple folders of 500 files each.

Do I have any other options? Thanks so much.
<snip>

Try putting DYNAMNBR=1024 on your EXEC card.

Regards,
Steve Thompson

-- All opinions expressed by me are my own and may not necessarily
reflect those of my employer. --