Shane wrote:
Forget it Ed. All I want is for vendors to package product(s) properly -
let customers manage their own environments.

Shane. I think you missed the point of this entirely! Packaging products "properly" is not the issue. The issue is how to give customers freedom to choose data set names for system libraries while -- at the same time -- allowing programs to find those libraries without knowing the local data set names.

For example, SYS1.SBLSCLI0(BLSCLIBD) contains the following statements:

| ISPEXEC LIBDEF ISPMLIB DATASET ID('SYS1.SBLSMSG0') COND
| ISPEXEC LIBDEF ISPPLIB DATASET ID('SYS1.SBLSPNL0') COND
| ISPEXEC LIBDEF ISPSLIB DATASET ID('SYS1.SBLSKEL0') COND

As Mark pointed out, if an installation changes the names of the SYS1.SBLSxxxx libraries to something else -- for example SYS1.IPCS.SBLSxxxx -- then BLSCLIBD will no longer work. Someone at the installation must manually change the CLIST to reflect their local data set name choice.

My idea is to have (among others) the following system symbols defined in IEASYMxx:

&SBLSKEL0
&SBLSMSG0
&SBLSPNL0

Each symbol would contain the name of the corresponding local data set. Instead of hard-wired data set names, the three LIBDEF statements in BLSCLIBD would contain something like:

| ISPEXEC LIBDEF ISPMLIB DATASET ID('&&SBLSMSG0') COND
| ISPEXEC LIBDEF ISPPLIB DATASET ID('&&SBLSPNL0') COND
| ISPEXEC LIBDEF ISPSLIB DATASET ID('&&SBLSKEL0') COND

The DYNALLOC service would recognize and resolve the symbolic data set name references via static system symbols. (See ASASYMBP in SYS1.MACLIB,)

In this way, BLSCLIBD, and all others similar programs with hard-coded data set name references, could be made to work _as delivered_ without requiring manual customization for local data set naming conventions.

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc