-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of McKown, John
Sent: Monday, April 14, 2008 9:55 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: COBOL / VSAM question.

I don't like what we are doing, but since when did that matter?

We have a COBOL batch program which reads a VSAM file which is OPEN to
cics. I am told that when we ran the program on the same z/OS image as
the CICS region, that the OPEN got a FILE STATUS code of 00. We have
split our single system into two images, in a basic sysplex. The program
is now getting a FILE STATUS code of 97. I would have expected this even
in a single system, if the file were open to another job in UPDATE mode.
In any case, I am asserting that all COBOL programs should check for
both 00 and 97 on OPEN and proceed in either case. It has been so very
long since I have looked at this that I want to be sure that I'm not
blowing smoke. The VSAM SHAREOPTIONS are 2,3.
<SNIP>

An 88 on the file status label to handle 00 & 97 is what we did for
shops that migrated from VSE to MVS (or z/OS). That a VERIFY was done as
part of OPEN is not a problem in 99.99% of the cases as far as we could
ever see.

So, no, I don't think you are blowing smoke. If the share options caused
the OPEN to fail, that would be an entirely different animal.

Regards,
Steve Thompson

-- All opinions expressed by me are my own and may not necessarily
reflect those of my employer. --