Hot start is not adequate. Each member of the MAS will allocate 'things' on
(often) every spool volume. Those things stay there through the life of the
current IPL. Besides started task segments, you get chunks of syslog and
various control blocks. You need a warm start--IPL--to relinquish the
allocated spool track groups.

             Ted MacNEIL
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             Sent by: IBM              IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
             Mainframe                                                  cc
             Discussion List
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                     Subject
             .EDU>                     Re: Offload Process to change dasd
                                       types for spool

             04/15/2008 05:49
             PM

             Please respond to
               IBM Mainframe
              Discussion List
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                   .EDU>

>6. Wait for the old volumes to actually drain. You will need one IPL
across the MAS, but you can IPL one system at a time at any comfortable
pace.

Not being a JES expert, I have a "Y" question.
Why is the IPL required?
Isn't a hot start adequate?

Enquiring minds need to know.
-