Hello everyone, I have an unknown that I have not been able to figure out or
at least I don't know where to look.
I have a user who is trying to define a vsam file using IDCAMS as follows:

DEFINE CLUSTER -
   ( NAME(BLAH.BLAH.BLAH) -
        LINEAR     -
        REUSE -
        CYL(30) -
        SHAREOPTIONS(3 3) ) -
   DATA -
   ( NAME(BLAH.BLAH.BLAH.DATA) -
                      ) -
  CATALOG(BLAH)

The problem is, when I look at the dataset (which is SMS managed) it usually
ends up being around 3 times larger than what the user requested.

Of course the first place I looked was in the dataclas that this dataset gets
assigned and the only thing that the dataclas specifies is a volume count of 1.
There are no overrides anywhere else for primary or secondary space.

Looking at the Access Method Services documentation, it states that you
should not use the TRACKS or CYLINDERS parameters. If you use them for an
SMS-managed data set, space is allocated on the volumes selected by SMS in
units equivalent to the device default
geometry.

Could the reason that this dataset is being allocated larger than requested
have to do with the fact that the sms volumes are mod 9 volumes?

Btw, I tried allocating the dataset in Megabytes (30) and I got 43 cyl with 1
extent.  I don't know what the conversion of megabytes to cylinders is but
this still doesn't seem right.

Regards,
Gil.