O'Brien, David W. (NIH/CIT) [C] wrote:
And when was the last time you used non-3390 geometry?
The device independence was important back in the early days of VSAM, circa 1975 when you had 3330s, 3350, 3340s on the floor, which were then followed by 3380s and 3390s. Assuming that 3390 geometry is here to stay at least from a logical Zos perspective, I don't see any downside to using Tracks or Cyls. But then I'm sure someone will disagree.

Last but not least: Not every (unit+amount) combination results in cylinder allocation. But when you use cylinders you are *sure* that allocation will result in cylinders. When using tracks or kilobytes or records, there is no such warranty (it depends on the amount).

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland

--
BRE Bank SA
ul. Senatorska 18

Sd Rejonowy dla m. st. Warszawy XII Wydzia Gospodarczy Krajowego Rejestru Sdowego, nr rejestru przedsibiorców KRS 0000025237
NIP: 526-021-50-88
Wedug stanu na dzie 01.01.2008 r. kapita zakadowy BRE Banku SA  wynosi
118.642.672 zote i zosta w caoci wpacony.