Rob Wunderlich wrote:
We license MQ V5 on MLC for about 2k/month. We have very little MQ activity, so we are looking at changing this to SALC (usage based) to save money. The quote from IBM for 1 MSU, the lowest band, is 10k/month! This doesn't make sense based on our experience with other usage based products. We've asked IBM if they mean 10K *annual*, but they have confirmed that it's monthly. Is there anyone out there who is licensing MQ with SALC who would be willing to share thier experience? You can contact me privately. I don't want to poke around in anyone's specfic licensing agreements with IBM -- I'm just trying to get a reality check on this one quote that doesn't make sense.
Thanks,
Rob Wunderlich

I am no longer in managment, so I don't sit in the meetings that deal with this any more (and that is a good thing), but we last time I was invoved we had the same situation. We are running MQ under MLC at 1 MSU and paying $2K/month.

When ever IBM told us that we would save money by switching to other software licensing options we had them run the numbers and everything, but MQ, does go down. But MQ always goes up and goes up so much that we either break even or end up spending more. IBM is alway surprised by this.