On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 12:44:24 -0500, John McKown wrote:

>Don't let the outsiders connect directly to the company LAN. Instead,
>force them to use something like Microsoft Terminal Services to logon to
>a multiuser Windows server. Once there, allow them to use a 3270
>emulator. That way, the emulator is running on the server, not on the
>user's desktop. That stops IND$FILE and ftp transfers directly to the
>user's desktop. I am fairly sure that it stops doing cut'n'paste as
>well. What it does not stop is ftp to their share on the server, then
>email the code to themselves. But this is becoming more of a PITA to the
>user, which does help to discourage them. It all depends on why they are
>doing it. (cost vs. benefit to them).
>
>This same concept can be applied to other systems such as Linux.

I think that a determined programmer would just take screen shots to a file -
or just take snapshots with a camera (or continuous video) to capture the
data for post-processing by OCR software.  (I do something very similar with
my genealogy hobby... not terribly difficult or expensive if you are
determined.)

--
Tom Schmidt
(BTW, I know of a company nearby that has a policy prohibiting cellphones