The Mainframe is suppose to be shutdown here by June 30Th. I doubt they will
make it but I have been tasked with many to do items before that. One of
them is to erase degauss the VTS drives on our 3494-S10 before it leaves the
building. I found this in a "Red book"

6.18 Data Security Erase
In some systems, execution of the data security erase channel command
causes random data patterns to be written on a volume to its end-of-tape.
Instead, with VTS, the end-of-data (EOD) mark is repositioned at the logical
block location at which the command was issued. Any data beyond that logical
block location is no longer accessible.
When the virtual volume is copied to a stacked volume, only the data up to
the EOD mark is written. Any data beyond that point is ignored; it is no longer
accessible by the host. The VTS does not take any action or provide any
function to erase data on invalidated copies of a logical volume. Although the
previous copies of a logical volume are not readily accessible, data on them
remains on physical volumes.
These copies are not written over until the corresponding stacked volume is
reclaimed and the space occupied by the data is subsequently overwritten by
new logical volumes.

Since we are still running Z/OS V1R4 IBM support will not help me or answer
any questions. Does anyone know or has anybody done the Data Security
Erase (degauss) for VTS disk drives? If so how did you do it?

Thanks,

  Phil