Thanks for all that responded to this posting!

  The ATL/VTS configuration is useing 3590 backstore tapes. We also have 3490
tapes (non VTS tapes) that we use to ship to Iron Mountain for DR.
  I was thinking since the VTS drives are useing Raid I can always ask our 3rd
party CE to physically switch the drives around. Better yet if anyone has an
extra SAA controller cable I could hook it to a laptop and then to the VTS and
I think I could format the VTS drives. I think there is also a drive for the
VTS controller.  As for the physical tapes both the 3490's and the 3590's

  Phil,

Actually, as R.S. and Daniel indicated you actually have 2 problems.
 First
is to erase the cache and the second is to erase the physical stacking
volumes. Let's take the physical stacking volumes first. You have two
choices there, are you planning on physically destroying them; or
 selling
them as used cartridges. Physical destruction is easy, just find a
 company
that knows how to shred them and dispose of them in an ecologically
 sound
manner. If you want to sell them as used cartridges, then you will need
degause them programmatically. That is again easy, but takes much more
 time.
First, you would have to eject them from the robot and then re-enter
 them as
standard scratch tapes (this assumes that some of the physical drives
 are
directly attached to the your Mainframe). Or, if you have any
 compatible
drives outside the robot you can degausse them outside the robot. But
 it
takes time. You didn't mention what type of drives, but I am guessing
 3590's
are the backstore. So you will need some 3590 drives attached to the MF
degause the stacking cartridges.

The harder one is the cache devices. As R.S. indicated, you will have
overwrite the cache. One simple method would be to scratch all the
 virtual
volumes and eject nearly all physical stacking volumes. Then, write
 dummy
data to the virtual-volumes  until SMS complains that you have run out
 of
space.

Russell Witt