Al Sherkow wrote:
This is my opinion only. IBM is doing this to make these WebSphere products
more attractive for implementation on zSeries. Why not make these straight
VWLC? well lots of sites have bought value units and don't want to pay
monthly for these again.
This is a guess, because the announcement is quite vague about how this will
work, but the only way SCRT can measure a product within an LPAR using the
SMF70 and SMF89 data is through the CPU consumption data that is already in
the SMF89 data. They are doing now for MQ Series with the SALC metric. So
that precedent already exists. In effect like SALC this is another type of
measured usage within sub-capacity pricing that does not allow measured usage.
"Oh what a tangled web we weave" Sir Walter Scott, Marmion, Canto vi. Stanza
17. Scottish author & novelist (1771 - 1832)

Yes, one of my favorite lines. Sadly, you only quoted the first part; the rest is, appropriately,

"When first we practice to deceive!"

Bob