From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Bill Neiman
Sent: Monday, April 28, 2008 3:08 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: IXC102D and REPLY DOWN

     There is work in progress now to design more effective and
consistent
mechanisms for removing a system from the sysplex without operator
intervention.  It is highly desirable to eliminate operator prompting in
this
situation, because a great many outages have occurred over the years
when
either (1) the operator or automation replies DOWN prematurely and data
base
corruption occurs as I described earlier, or (2) no one ever replies
DOWN, and
the sysplex begins to suffer from "sympathy sickness" because resources
are
held or protocols of one kind or another are impeded by the unresponsive

system.

     Bill Neiman
     XCF Development