At 2008-04-28 14:25, concerning "SMS PUZZLE", Willie Bunter
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote (to IBM-Main):

> [snip] track down why some dsns with the HLQ of  TEST.** are being
> directed to a non-SMS volume. [snip]

> [snip] storage class for unit types.  [snip] However, when I used the
> unit=3390 with the volser of a non-SMS pack, the dsn (TEST.AAA.CC)  was
> allocated on the pack Below is a sample of the SC ACS.

> FILTLIST VALUNIT INCLUDE ([snip] '3390', [snip])

> FILTLIST GDVX_DSN INCLUDE ([snip] TEST.** [snip] )

> WHEN (&UNIT NE &VALUNIT) SET &STORCLAS = ''

> WHEN (&HLQ = &POOL_GDVX OR &DSN = &GDVX_DSN)  SET &STORCLAS = 'SCTEST'

> Am I on the right track in thinking that the SC VALUNIT is the cause
> of the problem?   If so, how can I fix it?  I would appreciate your
> suggestion and comments.

If both of these WHEN statements are part of the same SELECT, then
&VALUNIT will take precedence over &GDVX_... since only *one*
condition results from a SELECT.  However, 3390 is a member of the
FiltList so (&UNIT NE &VALUNIT) is false and not selected.  Are there
other WHEN options in the same SELECT that match ie. (&VOL EQ
&NOT_SMS)?

Not directly obvious in SMS but DISP=MOD,VOL=SER=xxx will bypass ACS
and use the specified volume.  (when no catalogue entry is found)
There's some verbiage about it in the  DISP= section of the JCL
Reference manual.  [Got stung with this one when I moved production
datasets to SMS managed.  My ACS ignored &VOL values but 2-3 jobs
were using MOD with VolSer=.  That's were an obsolete-type SG pool
comes into play.  I placed all those names in the SG and, magically,
they were now considered SMS datasets.]

---------->  signature = 6 lines follows <--------------
Neil Duffee, Joe SysProg, U d'Ottawa, Ottawa, Ont, Canada
telephone:1 613 562 5800 x4585                 fax:1 613 562 5161
mailto:NDuffee of uOttawa.ca     http:/ /aix1.uottawa.ca/ ~nduffee
"How *do* you plan for something like that?" Guardian Bob, Reboot
"For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."
"Systems Programming: Guilty, until proven innocent" John Norgauer
2004