From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Todd Burrell
Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2008 2:24 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: 3420 old tapes

Hello:
I have an oldie but a goodie.  One of our user areas sent us 9 3420
tapes
today, and some of them appear to be 800 BPI.  When I run tape map
against
the tape I get the data in the attachment.

 I am trying to read these files on a 3420 tape
drive, and when I put the density (DEN=2) into my JCL I get a 413-24
abend.
I've tried various combinations and I cannot seem to get these old tapes
read, and without density IEBGENER gets a RC=12 for conflicting DCB
info.
I've also tried BLP and specifying the DCB parms directly, and still no
luck.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can possibly get this to
read
on our tape drives, or is there a hardware setting on a 3420 that will
make
this possible?

I looked in the archives and did not find anything specific about this,
and this
is a little before my time.

Thanks

Todd Burrell