>>The intent of my OP was to supply historical information, not to stir up
>>bootless controversy.

If I post a comment that contains a mis-remembered detail, I get lambasted
regularly by two people (whom I now ignore). I try to be accurate and helpful,
but some people don't care. They'd rather criticise and jump rather than
constructively aid in seeking the truth. Why should you be treated better?

>Controversy?  Most of the comments have been light-hearted and/or a comment
>that it's been "Authorized" for 30 years or so.

I started in this business (professionally) in 1981.
We were given a video presentation by the Toronto IBM Support Centre (ISC --
and, they did spell it that way in Canada).
The first "A" in APAR stood for "Authourised", back then.

-
Too busy driving to stop for gas!