Ted,

For number 1, do logical backups and exclude the page datasets.

For number 2, on current z/OS releases I believe this is in the MVS myth
category. It's only a potential problem if you go back to early OS390 releases,
or you do not use PAV. How would you verify that the problem exists.

For number 3, no comment.

Ron