>I remember an article in Computer World around the early 1990's about American
>Airlines getting wrecked by the volume initialization "joke".

In the days before LLA, I had a system programmer supporting TSOMON.
And, he didn't even know that it was in the link list.
Needless to say, after re-orging, deleting, re-defining, deleting again, the
system was so bolluxed up that an IPL was required.
Of course, the IPL wasn't successful, due to the missing link list library.
After many hours of work, we were back.
It was a single system environment.

Of course, that didn't get him fired.

That happened when he modified some IDMS maintenance JCL to work 'better'.
Production IDMS wouldn't come up.

We found the problem.
Link Edits (3) with no entry points defined.

So much for the 'experienced' SYSPROG.

-
Too busy driving to stop for gas!