Matthew Stitt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I remember an article in Computer World around the early 1990's about
>American Airlines getting wrecked by the volume initialization "joke".  It
>was not a "joke", but lack of finger checking that cause several disks of
>DB2 data, etc to be initialized instead of a bunch of new disk recently
>installed.  Took them several days to get everything back together.

The way I heard the story, from a fellow who worked there at the time, it was a
TPF job that ran amok (possibly due to a finger-check, not sure) and clipped
several hundred volumes.  While the MVS and TPF guys were wondering whether to
clean out their desks, he quietly went off and fired up a one-pack VM system
and wrote an EXEC to relabel the volumes.  The outage was 14 hours (at some
ridiculous quoted cost like $20K/minute or something -- sure, it cost
*something*, but all those folks waiting to make airline reservations didn't
decide to take the train instead, they just waited, so the average per-minute
booking rate was *not* a realistic cost value...but I digress).  I think this
was in 1989.

...phsiii