that has been posted to bit.listserv.ibm-main,alt.folklore.computers as well.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Phil Smith III) writes:
> That would be the problem today; back in 1989 when SABRE (to the best
> of my knowledge) was the main airline reservation system, they didn't
> have that option.
>
> But it was long ago and far away, and my memory may be faulty!

sabre was "main" for several airlines ... but there also was united's
reservation system (Apollo) ... and in that time-frame, my wife had done
a brief stint as chief architect for amadeus (which started off with the
old eastern airlines reservation system, SystemOne)

one of the things that cut her stint short with amadeus was that she
side with the decision to use x.25 rather than sna as the main
communication protocol ... which brought out a lot of opposition from
certain quarters. it didn't do them much good since amadeus went with
x.25 anyway.

current amadeus website
http://www.amadeus.com/

for other archeological notes ... eastern airlines res system had been
running on 370/195. one of the things that help put the final nails
in the future system project coffin
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#futuresys

was analysis that if a future system machine was implemented out of the
same performance technology as used in 370/195 ... and the eastern
airlines res. system moved over to it ... it would have the thruput of
370/145.

wiki computer res system page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_reservations_system

from above:

European airlines also began to invest in the field in the 1980s,
propelled by growth in demand for travel as well as technological
advances which allowed GDSes to offer ever-increasing services and
searching power. In 1987, a consortium led by Air France and West
Germany's Lufthansa developed Amadeus, modeled on SystemOne. In 1990,
Delta, Northwest Airlines, and Trans World Airlines formed Worldspan,
and in 1993, another consortium (including British Airways, KLM, and
United Airlines, among others) formed the competing company Galileo
International based on Apollo. Numerous smaller companies have also
formed, aimed at niche markets the four largest networks do not cater
to.

... snip ...

for totally unrelated topic drift ... at one point we were asked to
consult with one of the main reservation systems about redoing
various parts of the implementation. recent posts mentioning
doing a paradigm change in the implementation of "routes":
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008h.html#61 Up, Up, … and Gone?