One thing which might lead one astray is that there is a typo in the messages
and codes manual.  In the description of message IGD17501I, IBM writes that
this message is the result of the "BPX10PN" routine.  Please note that the
fifth
character of the service routine name is actually the letter "O" and not a zero.

So, from message IGD17501I, we have return code 006F.  This is documented
as meaning "EACCES" in topic "4.0  Return Codes Listed Alphabetically" of z/OS
UNIX System Services Messages and Codes.

Then, we can use the correct service name BPX1OPN, and look of the service
for more details as to why EACCES might occur.  Topic "2.118 open (BPX1OPN,
BPX4OPN) -- Open a file" in manual z/OS UNIX System Services Programming:
Assembler Callable Services Reference provides the final answer:

Return_code
------------
EACCES

Explanation
----------
Reasons for being denied access include these:

o   The calling process does not have permission
    to search one of the directories specified in
    the Pathname parameter.

o   The calling process does not have permission
    to open the file in the way specified by the
    Options parameter.

o   The file does not exist, and the calling
    process does not have permission to write
    into files in the directory in which the file
    would have been created.

o   The truncate option was specified, but the
    process does not have write permission for
    the file.

Hope this helps.

Brian