Alan

You will need to combine *both* the EACCES return code, a general
statement of the problem, with a specific "reason code" which - as I
understand it - is a code returned by a lower level function. The "reason code"
explanation should refine the "return code" explanation. Note that
the "reasons" listed in Brian's post are preceded by the word "include". Thus
there can be others including, I would suggest, having mistyped a name which
should be one of the names which shows up using the Display OMVS,PFS
command.

Incidentally, a question involving there tricky UNIX System Services "reason
codes" crops up two or three times a month in the list. You might have spent
your time better searching the archives.

Apart from the subtle mistake mentioned by Brian and looking up the
programming manual for possible reasons for the "return code" for the specific
routine name - which should - and probably is - replaced by the explanation of
the "reason code", I found all the codes in seconds. But then I happened to
know that the secrets of these "return" and "reason" codes were all provided
in the z/OS UNIX System Services Messages and Codes manual which, to give
credit where credit is due, is exactly where the explanation of IGD17501I
mentioned you should go and look.

Chris Mason