Even here, a $PJES2,ABEND  -  "END" would be preferable.  Then you could do he
"Z EOD".

>>> "Barbara Nitz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 6/3/2008 7:20 AM >>>

>It just doesn't sound right to me. It would make more sense that JES2
>could shut itself down cleanly than just pulling the rug out from under
>it by abruptly stopping XCF services before JES2 had a chance to clean
>up its act. So, I'm wondering if anyone else out there has heard this
>same story and either has the evidence to back up the claim or to reject
>it.

You're absolutely correct. Having JES2 shut itself down cleanly is the right
thing to do. Besides, what happened to "z eod"  before varying something out of
the plex?

The only time I would recommend the v xcf,offline approach *without* JES2 down
is the following:
For some reason, JES2 did not reach the 'all available functions complete'
message. In our case, that was usually when someone had introduced a new
address space that wasn't in automation and hence not properly shut down (and
then had the legs in OMVS pulled out from under it by my automation script) or
when an address space had definite problems itself during shutdown thus
preventing JES2 shutdown.

Only in those cases would I issue the v xcf,offline command. In that case, XCF
tells all connectors that the system is about to disappear, and then JES2
terminates no matter what.

I understand that the JES2MON asid can help with shutdown, but I never got
around to investigating the commands available to do that...

Regards, Barbara Nitz

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email contains information from the sender that
may be CONFIDENTIAL, LEGALLY PRIVILEGED, PROPRIETARY or otherwise protected
from disclosure. This email is intended for use only by the person or entity to
whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, any use,
disclosure, copying, distribution, printing, or any action taken in reliance on
the contents of this email, is strictly prohibited. If you received this email
in error, please contact the sending party by reply email, delete the email
from your computer system and shred any paper copies.

Note to Patients: There are a number of risks you should consider before using
e-mail to communicate with us. See our Privacy Policy and Henry Ford My Health
at www.henryford.com for more detailed information. If you do not believe that
our policy gives you the privacy and security protection you need, do not send
e-mail or Internet communications to us.