As others have said, this is very odd advice. The misinformation might have
been induced by that infamous message discussed here before:

  CNZ4201E SYSLOG HAS FAILED

Recent APAR CNZ4213I replaces this alarming missive with more benign
phraseology if syslog is ending 'normally'.

Otherwise I can't imagine what the 'authority' figure had in mind. If JES2
will not come down cleanly--or you're in a hurry and don't see any point in
sorting it all out--issue this command:

  $PJES2,TERM

Be careful that you've got the right system because you WILL IPL before you
can restart JES2. The effect is shut down abruptly but leave the checkpoint
unlocked and all I/O terminated gracefully.

.
.
JO.Skip Robinson
Southern California Edison Company
Electric Dragon Team Paddler
SHARE MVS Program Co-Manager
626-302-7535 Office
323-715-0595 Mobile
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

             Mike Myers
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             ICES.COM>                                                  To
             Sent by: IBM              IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
             Mainframe                                                  cc
             Discussion List
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                     Subject
             .EDU>                     $PJES2 and Parallel Sysplex

             06/03/2008 03:41
             AM

             Please respond to
               IBM Mainframe
              Discussion List
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                   .EDU>

Hi all:

I have had someone tell me yesterday that they have been told that when
shutting down a member in a parallel sysplex that once you get "ALL
AVAILABLE FUNCTIONS COMPLETE" from JES2 that you should then issue the V
XCF,member,OFFLINE command without first stopping JES2 ($PJES2). The
implications are that to stop JES2 causes some problem in JES2. The
person had no explanation as to what the problem caused actually was
supposed to be, but was adamant that this was the proper thing to do. He
had been told by someone in authority to do this.

It just doesn't sound right to me. It would make more sense that JES2
could shut itself down cleanly than just pulling the rug out from under
it by abruptly stopping XCF services before JES2 had a chance to clean
up its act. So, I'm wondering if anyone else out there has heard this
same story and either has the evidence to back up the claim or to reject
it.

Mike Myers