-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of William H. Blair
Sent: Thursday, June 05, 2008 2:05 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Enhanced JCL processor? (and maybe a few other thoughts)
<SNIP>
> Quotes are supposed to mean as-is.

I understand your modern thinking, but they are really only supposed to
mean what the code that supports them say they mean. And in 1970, the
decision was made that for the most part "quotes" meant "do not apply
the TSO PROFILE PREFIX() value." Thus, they really have little or
nothing to do with automatic folding to upper case.
The command processors you are dealing with are simply requesting this
conventional behavior by declaring the parameter's value to be a data
set name, most likely.
<SNIP>

So this means that "'//* this is a comment string for JCL'" is to be
discarded (or cause a syntax error) because the "/*" started a comment
(from CLIST's viewpoint). That is just WRONG for CLIST to force this and
has caused MANY headaches.

And I also agree that 'djflajfasljkdf' should be ASIS, so that IF I have
to allocate a DOS DSN on a shared volume, I CAN from within a TSO
session. But I am instead forced to use JCL and do it there as
DSN='PAYROLL run for Tuesday',VOL=SER=VSE001,UNIT=3390....

Just my two cents worth from dealing with this for years (from the late
'70s) with or without a DOS system to deal with.

Regards,
Steve Thompson

-- All opinions expressed by me are my own and may not necessarily
reflect those of my employer. --