On Thu, 5 Jun 2008 18:12:24 -0400, Farley, Peter x23353 wrote:

>And all of that could easily be solved with a new "ASIS" parameter for
>the TSO "ALLOC ... DA(*)" command, although I agree with you that the
>chances of such a change being made are slim and none, and slim went out
>to lunch.

I'd be delighted to have a "PROFILE ASIS" option which disabled _all_
case conversion by TSO (substitute the identity translation for the
CAPS translation), and available to child programs such as ISPF.

It's absurd that from a View member menu the command:

    TSO ALLOCATE PATH('/dev/null')

fails with:

    IKJ56228I PATH /DEV/NULL NOT IN CATALOG OR CATALOG CAN NOT BE ACCESSED

while the same command while editing a member succeeds.  ISPF should
_never_ convert the argument string of the TSO command; it can't tell
what TSO commands may be case-sensitive, and it shouldn't try to guess,
and it shouldn't be inconsistent.  If some panels pass the TSO command
argument as-is, others should do likewise.

BTW, the message text above should be corrected.  It might mislead
the programmer to believe a catalog lookup was performed and failed,
but I believe no catalog lookup was performed.  Some developer was
lazy and recycled a message.

-- gil