---------------------<snip>---------------------.

IIRC, VSAM and the "VSAM-like" access methods use STARTIO directly.

Directly? I thought that the move had been to use the Media Manager.
You may well be right, today. But Media Manager didn't exist, as such, until long after VSAM and VTAM. In all honesty, I'm not real sure what the sequence of development was, but I have some "OLD" VSAM source code that uses STARTIO, rather than EXCP, because of the channel programs it creates. It also contains PAGEFIX and PAGEFREE code, so I'm assuming that it's a step above your basic EXCP code.

Dear God, how I wish there was a documented interface to STARTIO; I'd like to play around with Format-1 CCW's. :-)