In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 06/11/2008
   at 05:38 PM, Gerhard Postpischil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>You had storage?  All of our programmers had "core", and
>persisted in that usage even into the late seventies.

Yeah, but not all shops "saved" money by buying a 370/155 after the
370/158 had been announced :-(

>In PCP all of storage was fair game,

I believe that PCP supported storage protection, although, of course, it
shared the exposures that MFT and MVT had.

>(there were a couple of loopholes in SVC
>parameter validity checking that IBM fixed eventually).

There were more that IBM never fixed in OS/360, and some that they didn't
fix in SVS.

>lucking out with an add-on memory whose
>protection capability had not been configured correctly.

At least you didn't have an alternate tape channel that hadn't been
upgraded to support IDA :-(