On Sun, 15 Jun 2008, Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.) wrote:

> In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on
> 06/04/2008
>    at 01:25 PM, "McKown, John" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
>
> >This is a blue sky idea for discussion. It is not a request to IBM. But
> >it derives from an earlier thread on the short comings of the current
> >JCL. So, I was just thinking of possible enhancements which should not
> >affect the "internal text" or only do so minimally.
>
> It's also important to not break existing JCL.

My thought was to have TWO different JCL processors. The advanced one to
be similar to, but not totally backward compatable with the existing one.
The JOB card would be compatable and would tell JES[23] which one to use
to convert. Or maybe a JES[23] control card to select the converter to
use.

> What problem?
>
>      //       EXEC  PGM=FOO,PARM=(TOM,
>      //             DICK,
>      //             HARRY,
>      //             'Tom, Dick and Harry are out')

The above inserts the comma between (e.g) TOM and DICK. Suppose that I
need a PARM of 80 characters which contains no commas anywhere in it?

> >8) Allow the // INCLUDE to have a new parameter: FILE= which specifies
> >the UNIX file to INCLUDE instead of a member from the JCLLIB
> >concatenation.
>
> Yes, but why not use the keyword from the DD statement rather than a new
> keyword? INCLUDE PATH= works for me.

I guess that it's conceptual to me. FILE=, to me, would mean a UNIX file.
PATH=, for some reason, seems to conjure up the concept of a subdirectory.
But either would be acceptable, I guess.

> If you want it to go anywhere, you'll need to write it up and submit it as
> a formal requirement, with a sound business case.

Yes, I know. This was just for consideration. I'm a total loss at trying
to explain things so that "management" can understand why it is a good
idea. Likely that is part of why z/OS at my shop is go denigated. We don't
have any "evangelists" like the Windows people do. Not that I've every
really seen any "hard" dollars that I'd trust from those people. They
gloss over things like "the prototype only requires 1 server and ...", and
usually neglect things like "and the server requirements will grow like
bacteria in a petri dish once implemented in production." Windows (and
Linux) are so cheap for a Proof Of Concept, but the $$$$ comes in when you
need them to go production (clustering for reliability, multiple systems
for performance, etc.)

--
Q: What do theoretical physicists drink beer from?
A: An EIN stein.

Maranatha!
John McKown