John,

You might also consider using the Assembler DSECT mapping support that is
available in the
alphaWorks version of JZOS.   With it, you can generate Java record mapping
classes from
Assembler DSECT and then process the records using a Java program.

See:  http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/zosjavabatchtk

The Java program could either run on z/OS, or you could still use Co:Z to
ship the raw SMF
records to Linux and run the Java processing program there.

Other than Java, you could use "C" and use the z/OS C++ "CDSECT" compiler
utility that converts
a DSECT into C header files.

FWIW: here's example JCL that dumps SMF and offloads processing of it using
Co:Z.  Our
download site has a sample C program, but you could also use Java.

http://dovetail.com/docs/coz/cookbook.html#4_5

Kirk Wolf
Dovetailed Technologies