I seem to have forgotten how to do this, and I cannot seem to find the
answer in the docs or via Google.

I want to group by using two columns which are year() and month(), but
the result set isn't grouping.

For example:

Select Year(Expdate), Month(Expdate) ,
Category, Sum(Expamt)
from EXP.EXPENSES
group by expdate, category
order by 1 desc, 2 desc, 3

Gives:

2008            6  Adjustments                            12.68
2008            6  Car                                    10.50
2008            6  Car                                    18.50

What is the syntax for the group columns when they are functions?

Thanks!
Lindy