Thanks, Mike.  So using "Group by year(xx)" is something new in V9 it seems.

Funny, though, I instinctively tried that syntax first and was surprised it
didn't work.

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Mike
Bell
Sent: 17. kesäkuuta 2008 0:52
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: DB2 group by with date functions

There isn't one - the fine manual (from V8) says
grouping-expression cannot include any of the following items:
| A correlated column
| A host variable
| A column function
| Any function that is nondeterministic or that is defined to have | an
external action
| A scalar fullselect
| A CASE expression whose searched-when-clause contains a quantified |
predicate, an IN
predicate using a fullselect, or an EXISTS | predicate

Note column function as part of the list.

The standard solution is to create a view which makes the year and month
into real columns (in the view) and then you can group by the column name in
the view.

Mike