On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 14:10:51 -0500, McKown, John wrote:

> [...]
There are several sides to this topic:

o AFAIK, there is no way to maintain accurate time on z without
  spending the big bucks for STP (or ETR, if it's still supported).

o With STP, z will probably have the most accurate time of any
  system in your shop.  Logically, z should be the NTP server.

o But, as so often stated in this list, logic must sometimes
  yield to Legacy inertia.  And in the OP's case, it appears
  that "Legacy" is the existing non-z NTP server.  IBM would
  be well advised to learn to play well with others as an NTP
  client.

-- gil