This situation has become more interesting as the days ( now weeks ) have
gone by.  SUN/STK recommended that we apply every PTF that is available to
our HSC/VTCS V6.1 software.  We did that during last week to all 6 of our
z/OS images.  We then installed the upgraded LMU/LCU microcode ( level
1.9.74 on the LMU's and level 4.4.08 on the LCU's ) on our STK9310 SILO.  We
then attempted to perform a CAP Eject of a few 3480 tape cartridges and
happened to experience the same symptom, the HSC z/OS host software
reported that the entire SILO ( ACS 00 in our case ) went disconnected.   We
backed off to the previous microcode, but left the upgraded HSC/VTCS
software running on all our z/OS images.  We sent SUN/STK the HSC trace
data they requested we activate and we are awaiting their response.

Ideas, thoughts, suggestions, etc.

Thanks,

Glenn Miller