RS said
> 1. It has little to do. There is something which we can call "IT
> culture". PC environment (I mean human env) is more likely to
> "restart-like", while mainframe environment is more likely "tight
> controlled".
> Of course, YMMV, this is generalization, etc. etc.

[<CLC>] Funny you should mention that. I will assert that today there is
almost nothing significant that you can "fix" (i.e. restore service)
faster by rooting around trying to find the problem, than by just
restarting the application or the server it is running on.

And yes, that's a generalization. Problems do eventually have to be
diagnosed, but your chances of doing that well enough during a critical
situation are basically zip. Have been for many years now.

This is one of those places where the economics just don't square with
reality. The mainframe approach of keeping the system (and subsystems)
up at all costs is based on the economics of having a lot of stuff
running concurrently on the same physical resource. The non-mainframe
world isn't like that and (arguably) most mainframe apps aren't like
that anymore either if they're parallel sysplex enabled.

CC