Peter

The function postulated in this thread has certainly not been always
supported - always starting from the earliest flavour of TCP/IP for VM - or it
escaped my extensive testing of the function in the earliest TCP/IP for MVS
and the documentation. That such a handy function would escape
description - as it still does - would be most remarkable - to coin a phrase.

It's also remarkable that the TELNET client in the Communications Server IP
component should still be written in Pascal - unless some development author
just forgot to remove the "excuse" - it's been known - after having undergone
such a major enhancement.

Incidentally, you are spreading your net rather too widely in dating the
original
function at 20 years ago. I think 15 would be closer to the advent of TCP/IP
for VM. I expect some lurking IBM developer will provide an accurate age.

Chris Mason