> I suspect that "switch only" is simply a way of depreciating the
> solution, because it's not mainframe.

Not at all.  I hear the term "switch" used all day, every day
regardless of which platform it's on.

Some switches do nothing but switch transactions but most
seem to do a lot more.

> Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 20:27:02 +0200
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: We're losing the battle
> To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
>
> J R wrote:
> > This is not unique to Tandem. It's a function of "front end switches".
> [...]
>
> Gentlemen,
> I'm getting lost.
> What does it mean "front end switch"?
> IMHO "the switch" does AT LEAST the following:
> - maintains all the communication to ATMs and POSes.
> - checks the PIN and the quote
> - maintains customers balance (subtract the quote)
>
> This is *transaction processing system*, not "a switch".
>
> I suspect that "switch only" is simply a way of depreciating the
> solution, because it's not mainframe.
> It's simply unfair. Since it's "switch function" only, it is so trivial,
> then why it wasn't on mainframe?
>
> Did I miss the point?
>
> --
> Radoslaw Skorupka

The i’m Talkathon starts 6/24/08.  For now, give amongst yourselves.
http://www.imtalkathon.com?source=TXT_EML_WLH_LearnMore_GiveAmongst