On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 07:53:35 -0500, Scott Barry wrote:

>A JCL SET statement value can also be passed and resolved as a PARM=
>string, so it is possible to write a program in your favorite language that
>takes
>the PARM= value and writes the data to a DD allocation in a job-step.  And if
>you must have multiple data lines substituted, for example as SYSIN, use
>multiple job-steps with DISP=NEW for the first step and DISP=MOD for each
>additional job-step.

Actually, for a temporary data set, you can use DISP=(MOD,PASS) for
every step because it starts out empty.  This makes it easier to
rearrange the order of steps if necessary.

>At one site I support, this technique is used to build IDCAMS control
>statements for execution.

Gee, that's ugly.  And not quite modular: you have to first install
the helper program.  I suppose it could be inline SYSIN to a leading
assembler step.  Or Rexx in an IEBGENER step.  Gee, I still wish
Rexx could access SET symbol values (Yeah, I know; use SDSF to
read the JCL text.)

-- gil