> ------------------------------<snip>----------------------------
> Tubes can be VERY noisy, electrically. Even if they're
> virtually silent
> when you're standing there listening.
> ------------------------------<unsnip>----------------------------

I was a young lad I would watch (and listen) most intently as my father
would frequently open up the back of our tube TV to effect repairs.  I
am quite certain that I recall hearing a steady background hum of
mumbled curses emanating from the tubes.  If you scale that up by the
far greater number of tubes which a ca. 1950's computer must have
contained vs. the 1950's TV, I'm quite certain the noise level might
have been considered objectionable to some.

Bill Bass
Senior Applications Developer
United Health Care
Greenville, SC