>If you have an old amp with tubes, try this - just very lightly tap the side
>of the tube with a pencil, and hear what sounds like a Chinese gong being
>struck.

When I went to the University of Waterloo, in the mid 1970's, I had a professor
who did his masters at MIT.
They had a vacuum tube computer that had all its tubes mounted on both walls of
what was basically a 6-metre corridor.
Somebody would have to go in everyday and run the erasor end of a pencil across
all the tubes. If the lights shook, the tube touched had to be replaced or
re-seated.

-
Too busy driving to stop for gas!