Vernooy, C.P. - SPLXM wrote:
Hello group,

Manual z/OS V1R8.0 MVS Setting Up a Sysplex still states that the
Primary Sysplex couple dataset and the Primary CFRM couple dataset
should reside on different volumes. I suppose this was valid 10 years
ago, but is it still with current modern devices with PAV, large caches
etc. etc.?

We haven't implemented the Message based protocol for the CFRM datasets,
since it has (had) a PE against it. Still I never noticed high activity
against the CFRM dataset, so I wondere if it is safe to put all Sysplex
CDS's on one volume.

GDPS advices to quadruple the Sysplex CDSs: each dataset an alternate in
the other site and each dataset a spare in each site. So we need either
4 or 8 volumes.

Any recommendations and practices from the real world are appreciated.

My €0.02: just follow the rules. PAV has nothing to RESERVE.

To save disk space you can create small 3390-1 on your DASD box. And use remaining space for some low-activity data, like backup copy of RACF db.

BTW: Health Checker also suggests to keep LOGGER CDS on separate volume, but AFAIK it is considered as a mistake.

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland

--
BRE Bank SA
ul. Senatorska 18

Sd Rejonowy dla m. st. Warszawy XII Wydzia Gospodarczy Krajowego Rejestru Sdowego, nr rejestru przedsibiorców KRS 0000025237
NIP: 526-021-50-88
Wedug stanu na dzie 01.01.2008 r. kapita zakadowy BRE Banku SA  wynosi
118.642.672 zote i zosta w caoci wpacony.